Automotive technology is currently a hot topic with many different facets of our society, including environmentalists, insurance companies, college degree developers, and of course, drivers.
Here are some of the most common and beneficial safety enhancements that have been proven to reduce accidents and therefore save lives:
- Automatic Braking allows the car to brake on its own to avoid or lessen the impact of a collision, accomplished by a small radar system on the front of the vehicle. Research has shown that automatic braking is reducing the number of crashes and lowering the severity of accidents.
- Vision Enhancement includes technology that helps reduce blind spots, sometimes with the use of infrared or side mirror lights that are triggered by sensors on the bumper. Reducing blind spots has been proven to help reduce the incidence of minor fender benders as well as serious accidents.
- Collision avoidance, also known as pre-crash systems, alert drivers visually or with sound that helps avoid a probable crash, often using radar technology.
- Lane Departure Warning System is a specific type of collision avoidance tool that detects when a driver is moving out of the lane unintentionally. These are especially helpful in avoiding head-on collisions, which are the most deadly type of auto accidents.
- Automatic Crash Notification (ACN) is technology that integrates with smartphones to alert a service of the location and urgency of a crash. This technology gets help to victims faster and increases the survival rate of those involved in a serious accident.
- Vehicle to Vehicle Communication is a newer technology that actually allows cars to talk to each other. We will be hearing a lot more about this type of feature in the near future as lawmakers are asking automakers to include as a standard feature as early as 2017.
Driver education and training is still fundamental to driver safety, but technology has been proven to assist the driver in various ways. Many of these features are being built in to new model vehicles, but for automobiles not equipped at the factory, there are after-market products available, such as the RD-140. Now, any driver who desires greater safety can get these features, even when not built in at production. Safe Drive Systems provides high-quality collision avoidance technology to drivers everywhere. For more information, contact us today.